QuickBooks error 6000 is one of the most common, yet infuriating error codes in the program. This error occurs when a user tries to open their company records stored in the QuickBooks company file. In fact, all the error codes that belong to the error code 6000 series depict the same issue. However, the reasons behind the trouble in opening the file can vary from one error code to other. There are multitudinous reasons that can bring forth QuickBooks error code 6000. To fix the error effectively in the program, you need to keep track of these possible reasons. Well! This post elaborates on important aspects of the error code 6000 in QuickBooks, including the best solutions that can fix it. Let’s dive in!
What Are The Possible Reasons Behind QuickBooks Error 6000?
QuickBooks error 6000 mainly occurs due to the communication error between the host and the client’s computer. It prevents users from accessing their financial records. Some other reasons behind the error may include:
- More than one workstation hosting the company file.
- Corrupt or damaged QuickBooks company file.
- Windows Firewall is blocking access to the company file.
- Erroneous configuration of the network.
- The file converted on a network can also promote the QuickBooks error 6000.
How To Determine The QuickBooks Error 6000?
When the below-given signs appear on your screen, you should not ignore the QuickBooks error 6000:
- QuickBooks performance starts to alleviate, and eventually, it becomes unresponsive.
- Keystrokes and mouse-click work no more on the program.
- QuickBooks Windows shuts down all of a sudden.
- A black or grey screen can come into your sight.
- An active window crashes on the arrival of the QuickBooks error 6000.
Common Error Codes Related to Error Code Series 6000
There are various instances of QuickBooks error 6000 that you may get when opening your company file. Check the below-given list:
QuickBooks Error 6000, -77
QuickBooks error 6000, 77 can take place due to several possible reasons as mentioned in the below-given list:
- Incorrect folder permission for the location where the company file is stored.
- When the QuickBooks company file is stored in an external media.
- A mapped drive is referred by QuickBooks to open the company file.
In most cases, the QuickBooks company file is resolved by rectifying the QuickBooks folder permissions. Besides, running QuickBooks File Doctor Tool from QuickBooks Tool Hub can also help in the error resolution. If the error persists, try moving the company file to the local or network drive. You may also need to change the settings to select the correct server. Once done, try to access your data file to check if it can resolve QuickBooks Error 6000 or not.
QuickBooks Error -6000, -83
Like any other error from the error code series 6000, this problem also occurs when you try to open your company records. Below are some of the common reasons that can promote the error 6000, -83 in QuickBooks:
- Improper or damaged installation of the QuickBooks application.
- Company file conversion from an earlier version over the network can also bring forth this error.
- When any of the company files or the folder containing them is damaged.
- Improper access permissions for the server to open the company file.
- Insufficient user permission to open the QuickBooks company file.
- QBDataServiceUserXX lacks the correct permission.
In the following instances of the error, you need to perform the following solution:
1: When Opening Company File Stored on a Windows Server
QuickBooks error 6000 can take place when accessing the company file stored on a Windows server. In such a case, the following solutions can help:
- Run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool to fix the damaged data in the program.
- Make sure that hosting is disabled on the workstations.
- Update QuickBooks to the latest maintenance release.
- Check the hosting on workstations.
- If the error persists, you need to edit the host files.
2: While Accessing the file from Linux Server
If the error occurs when opening a company file stored on a Linux server:
- Make sure that your connection is intact.
- Also, you can edit the host file to resolve this error.
3: When Restoring Company File
Error 6000, -83 when restoring the company file can be fixed with the following solutions:
- Sometimes the wrong extension of the QuickBooks company file can trigger the error. Make sure that its extension is.QBW. If not, change it.
- Check if there is an issue with the file name or the path of the company file.
4: User Creating Backup of the Company File
If you are unable to create a backup, try creating a manual backup and save it in a new file folder on the root of the C drive.
QuickBooks Error Code -6000, -80
Error -6000, -80 occurs due to multiple reasons, and knowing them is crucial for troubleshooting the error:
- When data conversion occurs at the network.
- Possible damage or corruption in the QuickBooks company file.
- The inability of QuickBooks to communicate with the server in order to access the QuickBooks company file.
- If more than one computer in the network is hosting the data file.
QuickBooks Company File Diagnostic Tool can fix this error by copying the backup file (.QBB) or the company file (.QBW) to a local hard drive. Thereon, restore the backup before moving it to the original location.
QuickBooks Error -6177, 0
QuickBooks error code 6177 can take place when the program is unable to use the path to open the company file. Some of the best solutions for this error include:
- Utilize QuickBooks File Doctor to cure the common issues related to the company file.
- Shift the hard drive from the external hard drive to the local hard drive.
- If QuickBooks File Doctor is unable to run on your system, fix it manually.
Error Code -6189, -816 in QuickBooks
The QuickBooks error 6189, 816 can crop up when the company file you are trying to open is already in use. When using company file in multi-user mode:
- Make sure that the data is not stored on a network file. A removable file is unable to run the QuickBooks Database Manager, and therefore, it can lead to data damage.
- Confirm that you are not using an online data-sharing service.
- Avoid encrypting your data file as instructed by Intuit. If encrypted, reach out to the software vendor to get the required help.
QuickBooks Error -6120, 0
QuickBooks error 6120 can take place when one of the workstations is hosting the QuickBooks company file. Some of the other possible reasons are:
- Damaged or corrupt QuickBooks Desktop installation.
- Network Data (.ND) and Transaction Log (.TLG) files are damaged.
- Insufficient rights to access the QuickBooks company file.
How To Resolve QuickBooks Error 6000?
Below we have explained some effective solutions that can help you in troubleshooting the error code 6000 in QuickBooks:
1: Update QuickBooks To The Latest Release
An outdated QuickBooks Desktop version can give rise to QuickBooks error 6000. To fix it, make sure that you are using the latest version of the QuickBooks software on your device. You can check on QuickBooks official website if an update is available or not. If yes, download it using the relevant steps.
2: Utilize QuickBooks File Doctor For The Error Resolution
QuickBooks File Doctor tool in the program can be utilized to eliminate the issues related to the QuickBooks company file. You can access this tool from QuickBooks Tool Hub. In the first place, you need to download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub from Intuit’s official website. Once installed, open it and select Company File Issues in the tool, and it will run the QuickBooks File Doctor. The tool will find the fix the common data damage issues, which will take some time.
3: Rename .ND and .TLG files
Network Data and Transactions Log files are located in the folder that contains the primary company file. When these files get damaged, you may not be able to open the QuickBooks company file over a network. Rename .ND and .TLG files to eliminate the error. In the same folder, right-click on .ND file and add .OLD at the end of the file name. Once done, try to open your QuickBooks company file.
4: Open the QuickBooks File From A Different Location
Create a new folder on your Desktop and move your company file to the new location. Now try to open your QuickBooks company file from the new location. If the file opens from the new location, it means the folder containing the QuickBooks company file was damaged. However, if you are still unable to open the file from the newly created folder, it means your company file is damaged and needs to get repaired.
5: Restore The Backup Of The QuickBooks Company File
If the company file is damaged, you need to restore the backup of your file. QuickBooks keeps an automatic backup of your financial data in the backup file with the extension .QBB. You can restore the backup to prevent the loss of your crucial accounting data.
6: Download and run QuickBooks Database Server Manager
QuickBooks Database Server Manager is an important tool in hosting the company file on the server computer. If it is not running on the network, you may not be able to access the company file from the network. In such a case, download and run QuickBooks Database Server Manager to host your company file in multi-user mode.
7: End QuickBooks-Related Tasks Using The Task Manager
The programs running in the background can interfere with the QuickBooks application and prevent you from opening your data file. In such a case, open your Task Manager in order to terminate all the tasks running in the background. Once the task is done, try opening your QuickBooks company file to check if the QuickBooks error 6000 is fixed.
The solutions we have discussed in this post are proven solutions in troubleshooting the QuickBooks error 6000 and other error codes that belong to this error code series. The steps need to be performed carefully to eliminate the error code. If you have any query in your mind or need any assistance from the experts, our QuickBooks help service is available through email and chat help channels.
1: What is a multi-user mode in QuickBooks?
In QuickBooks multi-user mode, multiple users can access the company file at the same time. The file is hosted on a server computer in a multi-user environment to be accessed by the other computers connected to the network. The systems that do not host the company file are known as the workstations. Only one system in the network can host the data file. You may not be able to open a file in a single-user mode that is already opened.
2: What is a QuickBooks company file?
QuickBooks company file is that file in the program wherein QuickBooks stores your crucial accounting information. You can locate this file with .QBW extension. The company file in the software is the primary file. In addition to the company file, QuickBooks uses several other file types to store different types of information. For instance, it uses QuickBooks Backup (QBB) file to store the backup of the file. QuickBooks Web Connector (QWC) file is used to open third-party applications in QuickBooks.
3: What are different error codes related to the series 6000?
Below are some of the main error codes related to QuickBooks company file access error 6000:
Error -6176, 0: Occurs when Firewall blocks the connection between two computers.
Error -6000, 107: Corruption in the Transaction Log (.TLG) file.
QB Error -6000, 1076: Improper or corrupt installation of the QuickBooks software.
Error code -6190, -83: When the file is hosted by the local computer.
QuickBooks Error -6000, -82: Erroneous network setup is the main reason behind the error.
Error -6129, -101: Insufficient folder permission or when the QuickBooks Database Server Manager is not properly working.
QuickBooks Error Code -6190, -82: If more than one user is logged into the QuickBooks company file in a single-user mode.
4: What is QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
QuickBooks Database Server Manager is an important utility in the software that enables users to share their company files with other computers on their network. Besides, it is crucial to work in multi-user mode as well. When setting up the network to share your company file, you need to make sure that QuickBooks Database Server Manager is running. If not, you may not be able to open the file over a network. Besides, it can be one of the most apparent reasons behind the arrival of the QuickBooks error code 6000 when a user tries to access the data file.
5: What to fix a damaged QuickBooks company file to resolve QuickBooks error 6000?
A damaged QuickBooks company file is one of the most apparent reasons behind the QuickBooks error 6000. QuickBooks File Doctor is a powerful tool in the program that resolves all the common issues related to the QuickBooks Company File. You can access this tool from the QuickBooks Tool Hub. In the first place, you need to download the Tool Hub from Intuit’s official website. Once installed, open Tool Hub and select Company File Issues. Performing this action will start the QuickBooks File Doctor. The tool will scan your data file and fix the issues related to it. The time of the file repair can vary based on the size of the file.
6: How to prevent QuickBooks error 6000 from taking place?
If you want to keep the error code 6000 at bay, the below-given considerations can help you:
- Keep your QuickBooks Desktop software updated to the latest release.
- Install QuickBooks properly and configure the multi-user mode carefully.
- Make sure that not more than one computer is hosting the company file.
- When accessing a company file, switch to the multi-user mode.
Keeping these important points in mind, you can save easily access your data file.