Have you ever thought to transfer quickbooks to a new computer from the old computer? You might have. Let me tell you, transferring QuickBooks from one system to another is not as easy as it sounds. It is an extremely significant process and can be a hectic one too. If you are in the same boat, fret not, we are surely going to help you out. It does make sense to change your system once in a few years. This allows you to get your hands on some exquisite functionalities and upgrades. better configuration, faster speed, and more race can be behind this decision.
After you installed the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop on a new computer, you can very easily transfer a backup of the old system’s company file. This can help you to track the scheduled payments to vendors and record of all income and expenses after the process is complete. In this write-up, we will discuss how to transfer quickbooks to a new computer. Read on till the end to understand the steps.
What all is Needed to Transfer QuickBooks to New Computer?
To transfer quickbooks to new computer from old, it does not need a huge list of requirements. It just needs a few basic things. These are listed below:
- After the installation, you need to register for the software and also make sure that the system is well connected to proper internet services.
- You will need to uninstall QuickBooks Desktop from the old system but make sure that you do this only after you have created a backup of the QuickBooks Company Files
- Also, make sure that the QuickBooks installation disk or the setup file is stored on an external device
- You need the product and the license registration details for the transferring of the QuickBooks Desktop from one computer to another
- You would also need an external storage device to store the QuickBooks Desktop files.
- You should have a USB flash drive of about 15 to 250 MB with enough space to store the QuickBooks Desktop files.
Read Also: QuickBooks Error H202
Procedures for Moving QuickBooks to a New Computer
A new computer can have QuickBooks transferred to it via a variety of techniques. Let’s investigate them.
1.) Using the QuickBooks Migration Tool
Using the QuickBooks Migration Tool to move QuickBooks is the easiest and most efficient way to do so. It functions with versions of QuickBooks Desktop 2022 and later. Since people frequently inquire about how to copy a program without a CD, Users should now carry out the subsequent actions to migrate QuickBooks to a new computer.
a.) On Old Computer
The initial stage is to carry out the subsequent actions on your old computer:
- Start QuickBooks Desktop by inserting the Pen Drive into your computer first.
- Then select “File” from the menu bar’s drop-down list.
- After that, select “Utilities” and then “Move QuickBooks to…”
- Choose Utilities, then relocate QuickBooks.
- Tap “I am Ready” at this point, and then enter the password.
- Then choose “Pen-Drive” and permit the data to be copied.
b.) On New Computer
Once the QuickBooks data has been copied to your Pen Drive, carry out the necessary QuickBooks downloads and take the following actions:
- Put the Pen Drive first into your new computer.
- Then start “This PC.” Access your Pen Drive as well.
- Run the “Move QuickBooks.bat” file after that.
- Enter the password you created on your previous computer now.
- To transfer QuickBooks to a new computer, create a password.
- Lastly, select “Let’s go.”
What is the most frequent user question regarding the transfer of QuickBooks to a new computer, ought to be finished. Let’s also look at the data that is copied using the QB Migration Tool.
c.) Information copied by the QuickBooks Migration Tool
Every piece of information necessary for QuickBooks Desktop functionality is copied. However, because of Intuit’s safeguard policy, some data is not copied.
The following is a list of the data that the QuickBooks Migration Tool copies:
- Personalized forms and templates.
- Reports that are planned and memorized.
- Letters and QuickBooks templates.
- Some local attachments.
- Financial statements designer.
- Spelling check (spell.ini and UserDictionary.tlx).
- Printer setting and using the business planner (.bpw).
- Loan Manager and Cash Flow Projector (.cfp) (.lmr).
- Advanced reports (available for QB Enterprises).
The following information cannot be copied when moving QuickBooks to a new computer using the QuickBooks Migration Tools:
- Multi-user configuration.
- Services for payments and payroll.
- Settings for Intuit Data Protect.
- Company files that haven’t been accessed recently.
- Additionally, backups generated by users manually.
2.) Moving QuickBooks Manually to a New Computer
Since users of QuickBooks also inquire about how to manually transfer QuickBooks to a new computer? The steps to move QuickBooks to a new PC are as follows:
a.) Make a backup on your old computer.
Making a backup of QuickBooks on your previous computer is the first step. Adhere to these steps:
- Attach an external HDD or USB drive to your previous computer.
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop on your previous computer.
- Choose “Create Backup” from the “File” menu.
- Select “Options” and “Local Backup”.
- Find the storage device, select it, and then click “Next.”
- Select “Save It Now” and then “Next.”
- The backup files will be produced after you tap “Save.”
b.) Uninstall QuickBooks on the Previous Computer
The following actions must be taken in order to remove QuickBooks from your previous computer:
- Go to the “Control Panel.”
- Make it to “Program-Features.”
- Then select “Uninstall a Program.”
- Then, choose “QuickBooks 20XX.”
- Select “Uninstall” as well.
- Choose “Remove” and then press “Next.”
- “Complete” the uninstallation.
c.) Install QuickBooks on the New Computer
Install QuickBooks on your new computer after removing it. This is how:
- QuickBooks can be downloaded to a new computer.
- Launch QuickBooks after properly installing it.
- Finally, use the product and license key to activate QuickBooks.
d.) Restore the Backup on Your New Computer
Restoring the backup is the last step in transferring QuickBooks to a new computer. So, carry out these:
- Place the storage device inside your PC.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop as well.
- Select the “File” menu option.
- Select “Restore Company.”.
- After you choose “Restore a Backup,” click on “Next.”
- Select “Local Backup.”.
- Find your storage system.
- Choose your QuickBooks backup file as well.
- Select “Open” and “Next” respectively.
- Verify that the backup files will be restored.
- Press “Save” to start the restoration.
Read Also: QuickBooks Error Code 80070057
We hope you have quite understood the steps mentioned above for “how to transfer quickbooks to a new computer?” problem. Employing the above-mentioned methods, you can very easily resolve the “transfer quickbooks to new computer” issue.
We are part of a team of highly skilled and proficient professionals who are adept at examining, analyzing, and resolving such QuickBooks issues. We are always available at your service and hope to give you the best assistance in all issues pertaining to QuickBooks software. You can always contact us through chat on our website or can drop us a mail at email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is the process for installing QuickBooks on a new computer?
Ans. Following are the methods listed below using which QuickBooks can be installed on a new computer:
- Make a backup from your old PC first.
- Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop after that.
- Install QuickBooks on your new PC next.
- Launch the setup program as well, then finish the installation.
- The last step is to activate QuickBooks.
Q2: Is it possible to use QuickBooks on several computers?
Yes, several PCs can utilize QuickBooks. Additionally, individuals who purchased QuickBooks’ single-user edition have the right to set up the software on two computers.
Q3. How can I move data from an outdated version of QuickBooks to a new one?
Ans. These steps can be used to transfer your important data from your old QuickBooks to your new QuickBooks:
- Log in to your current account first.
- Then, on QuickBooks, click the gear symbol.
- Select “Export-Data” next.
- Choose the data that you want to transfer as well.
- Click “Export to Excel” after that.
- Open QuickBooks on your new computer after that.
- Additionally, click the “Gear” button and select “Import-Data.”
- Select the exported data by clicking “Browse” after that.
- Lastly, click on “Next”
Q4. How can I make a backup copy of QuickBooks Desktop?
Ans. Following are the steps that you should follow if you want to make a backup copy of QuickBooks Desktop:
- Go to the File menu. Choose Back Up data
- Secondly, you need to mention the backup location. Next, you need to choose the default location to backup to the default folder on the local drive. Also, choose an alternate location to backup to a network or a removable drive.
- After that, Choose Backup and then Finish
Q5. Where does the system store QuickBooks backups?
Ans. The QuickBooks backup is stored at C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files