QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816 is the most common and frequently occurring error. Error 6190 and 816 is a technical glitch that arises when the user tries to open a company’s file in a single-user mode on a host computer. This error code arises with a pop-up display message as “QuickBooks fails to open the company’s file on the hosted computer.”
Well, if you are facing the Error Codes 6190 and 816 while working on QuickBooks, then you are at the right place. This blog post will provide you with sufficient information about the error so that you can easily get the error resolved by yourself.
Possible Reasons Behind QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816
Having a clear understanding of the reasons due to why the error arises can help you to prevent the error from occurring again in the future. Let’s have a look at the reasons due to why the QuickBooks error 6190 and 816 arises.
- When the transaction log file mismatches with the company’s file.
- Corrupted or damaged QuickBooks database file.
- When a user has updated the file on another system without updating the Transaction log file, then it can be a reason due to why the error arises.
- When a different user is accessing the file in single-user mode.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816?
Here is the list of the symptoms through which you can easily identify the QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816.
- PC is frequently hanging, or windows is not responding.
- The mouse and keyboard are not responding to the new commands processing by the user.
- A pop-up display message appears on the screen displaying the Error code 6190 and 816.
- When the QuickBooks Desktop application is not opening.
Read also QuickBooks Error Code 80070057
How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816?
After having a clear understanding of the error’s reasons and symptoms, let’s look at the solutions you can follow step by step to resolve the error.
Solution 1. Rename the ND and TLG Files
The first recommended solution for getting the error resolved is to rename the company’s file. Given below are the steps that you can easily follow to rename the company’s file.
- Firstly, open the windows file explorer on your PC by pressing the “Windows + E” keys together.
- Thereon, navigate to the location where the QuickBooks files are saved. The default location is C: \ Users\ Public\ Public Documents\Intuit\ QuickBooks.
- Now, search there for the network data file. You can easily locate this file by searching for the file ending with the extension as “.ND”.
- After that, right-click on the file. Then, select the rename option and add “.old” at the end of the name. Now, the name new of the file will be ending as “.nd.old.”
- Similarly, rename the transaction log file to “.tlg.old.”
Once you are done with renaming these files, then exit the file explorer and launch QuickBooks. Now, examine if you can access the QuickBooks company’s file or not. In case the error persists, then move on to the next solution.
Solution 2. Use Quick Fix My Program Tool
Using the Quick Fix My Program tool can also be a solution to get the error resolved. This tool can help you to repair all the issues with the file. So, here are the steps that you can follow to use the Quick Fix My Program tool on your PC.
- First of all, download the latest version of the QuickBooks tool hub on your PC (220.127.116.11).
- Then, open the downloaded folder and double-click on the “QuickBooksToolHub.exe” file.
- Thereon, keep following the on screen instructions to get the tool installed on your PC.
- Once the tool is installed on your PC, double-click on the tool icon to run it.
- Now, click on the “Program Problem” option available on the left side of the screen.
- After that, click on the “Quick Fix My Program” option available in the green box.
- This will now start repairing all the issues with the file. The repairing process will takes around few minutes.
At last, once you are done with performing the above steps, then examine if the QuickBooks errors 6190 and 816 has been fixed or not. If not, then try the next solution.
Solution 3. Download the New Updates of QuickBooks
Sometimes, downloading the new updates of the software can help you to resolve unwanted errors and bugs. Below are the steps for downloading the new updates in the QuickBooks desktop application.
- Firstly, close the QuickBooks desktop application and the company’s file.
- Thereon, do right-click on the QuickBooks desktop icon.
- Next, click on the “Run as Administrator” option.
- Now, run the QuickBooks and click on the “Help” option available at the screen’s header.
- After that, from the drop down list, click on the “Update QuickBooks” option.
- Click on the “Options” tab under the update QuickBooks window.
- Thereon, click on the “Mark All” option, followed by a click on the “Save” option.
- Now, click on the “Update Now” tab option and then check mark the “Reset Update” box.
- After that, click on the “Get Updates” option, and the downloading process will end.
- Once the updating process is completed, a prompt message will be displayed on your screen.
- Now, exit the QuickBooks and launch it again.
- A new pop-up message with the QuickBooks update will be shown on your screen.
- There, click on the “Yes” option.
- At last, once the installation process gets completed, then perform a restart on your PC.
Solution 4. Download the New Windows Update
If you have not updated the windows for a long time, your PC might become incompatible for the QuickBooks to work smoothly. In that scenario, downloading the new windows update can help you to resolve the QuickBooks error code 6190 and 816. So, here are the steps that you can follow to download the new windows update.
- Firstly, navigate to the windows start menu by pressing the windows button on the keyboard.
- Thereon, “Windows Update” in the search box and then hit the enter button.
- This will redirect you to the windows update settings on your PC.
- Now, click on the “Check For Updates” option. If any updates are available, click on the “Download Now” option.
- With this effect, the downloading process will be commenced on your screen.
- Once the downloading ends, then click on the “Restart Now” option to reboot your system.
- After performing the above steps, then launch the QuickBooks desktop application.
Here, examine if you can access the QuickBooks company’s file or not. After following the solutions mentioned above, the QuickBooks error codes 6190 and 816 will be resolved.
Get Experts Help
In this blog post, we have provided you with four solutions that you can easily follow to resolve the QuickBooks error codes 6190 and 816. In case, even after following the solutions, if you are still facing the error, then you can reach out to us through the chat box. You can also write us your query through mail at email@example.com . Our experts with in-depth knowledge regarding QuickBooks are available 24*7 at the help desk to take care of your queries.