QuickBooks is one of the best accounting applications you can install to manage your business accounting. In addition to its incredible features, you can also utilize the QuickBooks Desktop Payroll service to handle your business payroll processes. When updating your payroll service in QuickBooks, you may encounter QuickBooks Error 15106. Every time when a user tries to update the payroll service, an error message appears on the screen:
Error 15106: The update program is damaged.
Error 15106: the update program cannot be opened.
All the issues in this error code series depicts a problem in updating the payroll service from within the QuickBooks Desktop. Insufficient access permissions or restrictive Firewall settings are some of the main reasons behind this error. It is better to resolve the error before it hampers your workflow badly. Read this full post to find the possible causes and troubleshooting solutions for QuickBooks Payroll update error 15106.
QuickBooks Update Error 15106: Error Description
Error 15106 in QuickBooks shows an error in updating payroll tax tables in QuickBooks. Windows Installer is software that plays a crucial role in installing, uninstalling, and updating the applications on Windows Operating System. However, when the Windows Installer gets damaged, the applications start giving errors when you update them. The same applies to the QuickBooks update process. The updates get hindered due to the damaged Windows Installer. Therefore, you need to perform the required steps to repair the Windows installer and remove the third-party applications that are potentially damaging the installer file.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Payroll Error Code 15106
Like other error codes in QuickBooks, this one also gives some signs when it takes place. Check below:
- An error message appears on your screen in no time, which includes the error code 15106.
- QuickBooks update process gets affected with the arrival of the error message.
- The program starts to function sluggishly.
- Active Windows crashes when the error hits the update process.
- The system responds lethargically to the inputs using a keystroke or mouse clicks.
Factors Responsible For QuickBooks Desktop Error 15106
There are multiple factors that are responsible for promoting error 15106 in QuickBooks. However, the lack of the required permissions or damaged QuickBooks installer files are some of the most prominent reasons behind this program update error. Below are some other issues that can bring forth the error 15106 when updating the QuickBooks Desktop Payroll service. Check the below-given list:
- Partial installation of the QuickBooks software wherein some important components required to update the program is missing.
- The account used in updating the program doesn’t have sufficient admin permissions to perform the task.
- Sometimes, it can be your Web Root antivirus application that perceives the QuickBooks installer as a potential threat and blocks its operations on Windows.
- When Windows UAC (User Account Control) settings are set to high, it can interfere with an ongoing update.
- Your Firewall or antivirus applications also hinder the process of QuickBooks Payroll updates.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 15106?
Now that we are in the troubleshooting section, you might have understood all the important aspects of the error. Below are some of the best solutions that can help you eradicate the error:
Solution 1: Log Into QuickBooks With Admin Credentials
As we have discussed, full admin permissions are required in updating the program. If not, you may not be able to accomplish the task. To enable the permissions, you need to go to the Control Panel. Here, you have to select User Accounts and Family Safety and then click User Account. Next, select Manage another account and enter the admin password when you are asked to do so. Underneath the name of the account, you may locate the type of account. If it is already an admin account, move to the next solution. If not, get it enabled with the help of your IT administrator.
Solution 2: Repair Damaged QuickBooks Desktop Installation
A damaged QuickBooks Desktop installation can evoke errors when updating QuickBooks. To repair:
- Open the Run window by pressing Windows + R on the keyboard.
- Once the Run box opens, type “appwiz.cpl” in the search area.
- Located underneath Uninstall or Change a Program window, you will see the list of the installed programs. Here, double-click QuickBooks.
- Next, select Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop from the drop-down list.
- Moving ahead, select Change / Remove and then click Next.
- When proceeding further, you need to make sure that the Repair option is selected and, thereafter, click Next.
- Click Repair, and it will start mending the damaged QuickBooks installation.
- If it gives an error message “File in Use,” select Ignore and move further with the repair process.
- After completing the repair process, restart your computer and open the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- In the end, select Install Now when the update is successfully downloaded in QuickBooks.
Solution 3: Reset QuickBooks Desktop Updates
If the first solution doesn’t bring luck to the error-resolution, check if resetting QuickBooks updates can help. Perform the below-given steps:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and from under the Help tab, and then select Update QuickBooks.
- Next, select Mark All located underneath the Options tab.
- Click on the Save button and then go to the Update Now tab.
- Mark the checkbox for Reset Update now and click on Get Updates.
If it still throws QuickBooks error code 15106 on updating payroll service, move to the next troubleshooting solution.
Solution 4: Eliminate WebRoot Spyware Sweeper
Your WebRoot Spyware can also give rise to the QuickBooks error 15106 in the program. In such a case, follow the below-given steps to delete the WebRoot Spyware Sweeper:
- On your Windows Desktop, click Start and then select Control Panel.
- Thereafter, choose Add/Remove programs.
- When the list of the program opens, double-click Webroot from the list and then click Uninstall/Remove.
- Moving ahead, select Uninstall and hit the Next button.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and remove the application from Windows completely.
- After completing the procedure, restart your computer and install the latest QuickBooks updates.
Check if the error is resolved after removing the WebRoot application from your Windows computer. If not, troubleshoot again with a different method.
Solution 5: Disable Antivirus and Rename QuickBooks Update Folder
An erroneous update folder in QuickBooks can promote QuickBooks Payroll update error 15106. To resolve, disable your antivirus application and then rename your QuickBooks update folder by following the below-given steps:
- Press CTRL + Shift + Esc keys together on your keyboard, and it will open the Windows Task Manager.
- After that, you need to right-click on your antivirus application (Whichever you use).
- Next, select the End Task option and hit Yes when you are prompted to do so.
- Proceeding further, navigate to the QuickBooks Installation folder using Windows File Explorer.
- Generally, the program gets installed in C:\\Program Files\\Intuit\\QuickBooks(year)\\Components folder.
- Now right-click the folder downloadqb20 or downloadqb19, and select Rename from the drop-down menu.
- Finally, add .OLD at the end of the folder name and try to update the QuickBooks Desktop payroll service again to eliminate the QuickBooks error code 15106.
If you get the error message again after performing this solution, try the next method.
Solution 6: Disable User Account Control
User Account Control is a mandatory access control enforcement feature in Windows OS, which is there to improve the security of MS Windows by limiting applications to standard user privileges. It means that only the user-trusted applications will get the administrator privileges to perform an important task, such as updating it. When UAC is enabled, you may not be able to update your QuickBooks Desktop application. In such a case, you need to set it to the Never Notify option. Once done, click OK to confirm the changes and try to update QuickBooks again. If the error still persists, try the next solution.
Solution 7: Utilize QuickBooks Clean Install Tool To Reinstall QuickBooks Application
If none of the troubleshooting solutions fixes QuickBooks error code 15106, you need to reinstall QuickBooks using QuickBooks Clean Install Tool. This tool can be very helpful when QuickBooks Desktop functions get damaged. It removes the QuickBooks installation files and folders from your Desktop so that you can get a fresh installation of the QuickBooks Desktop application. It involves three steps – Uninstalling the QuickBooks Desktop software, renaming the installation folders, and re-installing QuickBooks using the tool. After the successful QuickBooks clean install process, you may proceed further to update your QuickBooks Desktop Payroll service.
Read Also: Resolve QuickBooks Error 6000
It is crucial to keep your applications updated, and QuickBooks is no exception. However, when updating QuickBooks software, you may encounter several issues, and QuickBooks error 15106 is also an error code related to the QuickBooks update process. If you need to get rid of it and update payroll service from within the QuickBooks, read this post until the end. If anything is not clear to you, or you need assistance from experts, get in touch with us using our helpline channels, such as email, chat, and other channels. Our experts will definitely help you when you need us the most.
What is the Payroll service in QuickBooks?
QuickBooks Payroll service is a subscription-based service in QuickBooks Desktop that can help you manage your business payroll processes efficiently. You can get your taxes calculated, filed, and paid and thereby prevent tax penalties with the help of QuickBooks Payroll services. Besides, you can run your payroll automatically. Track employees’ payable hours and send direct deposits to them. Moreover, you can get expert support on encountering any unease when running your employee’s payroll.
Why is it crucial to update the payroll service?
Updating the QuickBooks Payroll service enables users to get the most accurate and current rates and calculations for the supported state and federal tax tables, payroll tax forms, and payment options. When filing or paying your taxes, it is crucial to use the latest payroll tax tables. If not, you are prone to face the penalties. To prevent this, it is wise to update the QuickBooks payroll service on a regular basis.
How to get help for QuickBooks update issues?
If you are facing issues when updating QuickBooks, such as QuickBooks error 15106, you may contact our QuickBooks update helpline, send us an email, or get help from our chat support. You can drop your issues in the chat box or email or discuss them with a real person to get an immediate resolution. If you are not sure how to fix QuickBooks error code 15106, get the right help.
What is the difference between the QuickBooks update and QuickBooks upgrade?
Most people often confuse the QuickBooks update with the QuickBooks upgrade. They consider both as same. However, there is a significant difference between the QuickBooks update and the QuickBooks upgrade. QuickBooks updates are free, whereas QuickBooks upgrades are not. Updating QuickBooks resolves the existing issues in the program, whereas upgrades add whole new functionalities to the program.