QuickBooks Error H202 occurs when the user tries to switch from a single-user mode to a multi-user mode, but the QuickBooks fails to do so. This error indicates that something is disallowing the server to connect to the system.
The QuickBooks Error H202 occurs with a pop-up display message: “The company file is located on another computer, and QuickBooks needs help connecting.”
What are the Reasons Behind QuickBooks Error H202?
QuickBooks error H202 occurs when the user tries to build a connection between the company’s files but the server fails to get it done. The server cannot get this command completed for the following reasons.
• Incorrect configuration settings
• PC’s firewall settings are blocking communication between the system and the server.
• A specific issue with the DNS server
• QuickBooks Network Data (.ND) file is damaged or corrupted.
• QuickBooks fails to get the IP address of the host system or the server hosting the company’s file.
How to Identify QuickBooks Error H202?
QuickBooks users need to understand the symptoms of a QuickBooks error. Whenever an error arises in QuickBooks, it shows symptoms that the users can look at to identify the error. So, here are the symptoms that you can look at to check if you are facing the QuickBooks error H202 or not.
• Not able to access multi-user mode in QuickBooks.
• QuickBooks is working slowly or hangs frequently.
• A pop-up window screen shows the error code H202.
• PC does not respond to commands.
• PC Windows gets crashed.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error H202?
Solving a QuickBooks Error is not as difficult as it sounds, and a problem arises with its solution. So, let’s discuss the quick solutions you can follow to fix the QuickBooks error H202. Although, we strongly recommend you first take a backup of your QuickBooks Data File (QBW) so that if any mishappening happens with your QuickBooks file, then your data will be safe.
Solution 1: Run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
To run the QuickBooks database server manager, here are the steps that you can follow to run the QuickBooks database server manager to resolve the QuickBooks Error H202.
• First, download and install the QuickBooks tool hub on your PC.
• Then, open the tool hub and click on the “Network Issues” option.
• After that, click on the “QuickBooks Database Server Manager” option.
• Now, the tool will start scanning the company’s files.
• Once the scanning ends, click on the “Close” option.
Now, open QuickBooks again and check if you can switch to the multi-user mode or not.
Solution 2: Verify QuickBooks Hosting
So, below mentioned are the steps that you can follow to verify the QuickBooks hosting.
• First, run QuickBooks on the hosting system and go to “File” from the upper menu list.
• Then click on the “Utilities” option.
• After that, click on the “Host Multi-User” option under the utilities drop-down list.
• Then, search for and click the “Stop Hosting Multi-user Access” option.
• Make sure the company’s file is closed, and click on the “Yes” option.
After this, try to run QuickBooks in multi-user mode and check if you can switch to multi-user mode or not. If the problem persists, then jump on to the next remedy.
Solution 3: Ping your Host Device through Workstation
So, to examine the connection level by pinging your server from one of the workstations is as follows.
• First, open the Windows run command by pressing the “Windows + R” keys together.
• Now, in the search box, type CMD and hit the enter button.
• After this, type “ipconfig/all” on the screen and press the enter button again.
• Then, your PC’s screen will display some information. Go to the Windows IP configuration section and search for the hostname on the right side.
• Now, note down the server’s name and open one of the workstations and the run window.
• Again, go to the CMD screen and enter “type [your server name] and input the name you copied and make sure to exclude the brackets and press the enter button.
• Finally, perform the same steps for all the workstations on which you face the issue.
After performing this method, open the QuickBooks desktop application and try to switch to the multi-user mode, and check if the error has been resolved or not.
Solution 4: Check the Services on your Host Computer
Here are the steps you can take to check that the QuickBooks services are working without any issues.
• First, on your host computer, open the Windows Run command by pressing the “Windows + R” keys together.
• Then in the insert box, type “services.msc” and click on the “OK” button.
• Now, search and click on the “QuickBooksDBXX” option under the new screen. [Here, the XX stands for the QuickBooks version year].
• Make sure that the startup type for this option is reflected automatically.
• Then, click on the “Service Status” option.
• After that, tap on the “Recovery” button and select the “Restart-Service” option for the first failure, second failure, and subsequent failure options.
• Now, save the new changes by clicking on the “Apply” option and then click on the “OK” option.
• After that, repeat the procedure and select “QBCFMonitorService” in step 3.
Then open QuickBooks again and try to switch to multi-user mode.
Solution 5: Run QuickBooks Doctor Files
So, below mentioned are the steps that you can follow in the QuickBooks Doctor File.
• First, open the QuickBooks tool hub.
• Then, click on the “Company File Issues” option, and under the list, click on the “Run QuickBooks File Doctor” option.
• Now, select your company’s file under the drop-down menu list. You can also manually select the file by browsing and locating the cursor to its location.
• After that, select the “Check your File” option and click on the “Next” option.
• Finally, type your QuickBooks admin login password and click on the “Next” option.
After this, open QuickBooks again and check if the error has been resolved or not.
Solution 6: Delete and Recreate Network Data File (.ND)
Deleting the corrupt Network Data (.ND) file and recreating it again can help you fix the QuickBooks error H202. So, below listed are the steps that you can follow to recreate the network data file.
• First, open the Windows search box by pressing the Windows key on your keyboard.
• Then in the insert box, type “*.ND” in the insert box and hit the enter button.
• Now, in the results window, right-click on the .ND file and then click on the “delete” option.
• Then confirm the delete request.
• Now, you have successfully deleted the network data file from your PC.
• After this, again press the window key on your keyboard.
• Then navigate to “All Programs” > “QuickBooks” > “QuickBooks Database Server Manager.”
• Click on the “Scan Folder” option.
• Then click on the “Add Folder” option and browse to the location where the company’s file is saved.
• After that, select your company’s file and click on the “OK” button.
• Now, click on the “Scan” option to start the scanning process, and once the scanning process ends, click on the “Close” button.
Solution 7: Repair and update the QuickBooks Desktop to the latest version.
So, below mentioned are the steps that you can follow to repair and update the QuickBooks desktop application to the latest available version.
• First, open the control panel on your PC.
• Then search and click on the “Programs & Features” option.
• Now, again click on the “Programs” option.
• Under the programmes drop-down list, search for the QuickBooks desktop application.
• Right-click on the QuickBooks option, then click on the “Uninstall or Change” option.
• After that, select the repair option and click on the “Next” option.
• Then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the repair process.
• Once the repairing process of QuickBooks ends, to update the QuickBooks desktop application to the latest version, open the QuickBooks desktop application.
• After that, click on the “Help” menu, and then click on the “Update QuickBooks” option from the drop-down list.
• Now, the updates will start downloading. Once the downloading ends, then restart your PC.
After performing this method, launch the QuickBooks desktop again and try to open the company’s file, and check if the error has been resolved or not.
Solution 8: Add a server for the Windows Host File
• First, close all the background running applications and QuickBooks desktop applications.
• Now, navigate the cursor on the server to the C:\ Windows\ System32\ Drivers\ Etc or C:\ Windows\ System64 \ Drivers\ Etc.
• After that, double-click on the host file and select the “Notepad” option.
• Now, manually enter your IP address along with the computer’s name.
• Then enter your computer’s IP address and the name of the server.
• You can press the Tab key instead of the space bar to separate the computer name with the IP address.
You have now successfully added the server for the Windows host file. Now, try to open the QuickBooks company’s file and check if the QuickBooks error H202 has been resolved or not.
Solution 9: Create a new folder for your QuickBooks Database Company’s File
So, below mentioned are the steps that you can follow to create a new folder for the QuickBooks database (QBW) company’s file.
• First of all, create a new folder on your host computer.
• After that, share the folder and allow the necessary permissions to share the company files.
• Then copy and paste the QuickBooks Database (QBW) file to the new folder.
• In the end, switch to the multi-user mode and try to open the company’s file.
Solution 10: Use QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool
Below are the steps you can follow to use the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool to solve the QuickBooks error H202.
• First, download and install the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool on the hosting PC.
• After that, scan the folder where the company’s files are saved.
• Now, note down and save the IP address that appears when running the QuickBooks connection diagnostic program.
• Finally, run the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool and then check if this method has helped you solve the QuickBooks error H202 or not.
Solution 11: Make Changes in the QBGlobalAppConfig.ini File
• First, open a Linux terminal window and the QBGlobalAppConfig.ini file.
• Now, examine the default port range and remove the space character before and after the (=) sign.
QuickBooks VersionFromToQuickBooks Desktop Version 202155393 = 555393=5QuickBooks Desktop Version 202055388 = 555388=5QuickBooks Desktop Version 201955383 = 555383=5QuickBooks Desktop Version 201855378 = 555378=5QuickBooks Desktop Version 201755373 = 555373=5
• After this, install the Linux Database Server Manager, including the comprehensive list of ports.
• Then save the QBGlobalAppConfig.ini, and the QBWFILEMON and QBDBMGRN services will be stopped and restarted.
Solution 12: Configure the Firewall Settings
So, below listed are the steps that you can follow to configure the firewall settings for the QuickBooks desktop manually.
• First, press the Windows key button on your keyboard.
• Then, in the insert box, type “Windows Firewall” and hit the enter button.
• Then click on the “Windows Firewall” option and go to the “Advanced Settings.”
• After that, right-click on the “Inbound Rules” option.
• Then click on the “New Rule” > “Port” > “Next.”
• Now, pick the TCP and enter the following details in local ports.
▪ QuickBooks Desktop 2017: “8019, 56727, 55373-55377”
▪ QuickBooks Desktop 2018: “8019, 56728, 55378-55382”
▪ QuickBooks Desktop 2019: “8019, XXXXX”
▪ QuickBooks Desktop 2020: “8019, XXXXX”
• After that, tap on the “Next” option and click on the “Allow the Connection” option.
• Then click on the “Next” option, select the profile, and tap on the “Next” option.
• After making the rule, type “QBPorts (Year)” in the name.
• Then click on the “Finish” option and perform the steps again by selecting “Outbound Rules.”
After that, run QuickBooks again and check if the QuickBooks Error H202 has been resolved or not.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Sync Manager Errors
This blog has mentioned six remedies you can follow to resolve the QuickBooks error H202. If, after following the procedures mentioned above, you are still facing the error, or if you face any challenge while working on any of the solutions, then you can reach out to us through the chat box, or you can mail us your query through mail at email@example.com. Our experienced and professional experts have in-depth knowledge of QuickBooks and are available 24/7 to assist you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. How can I disable hosting in QuickBooks Desktop?
A: To disable hosting in QuickBooks, follow these steps.
• Launch the QuickBooks application and go to the “File” menu.
• Then click on the “Utilities” option.
• If the multi-user access option is already off, click on the “next” option.
• Whereas, if multi-user access hosting is enabled, click the “Stop” option to turn off the hosting on the QuickBooks desktop.
2. How can I switch to the multi-user mode on the QuickBooks desktop?
A: So, to switch to the multi-user mode, here are the steps:
• Open QuickBooks, then click on the “File” menu option.
• Then select the “Open or Restore Company File” option.
• Select a company’s file and click on the “Next” option.
• Finally, open the company’s file in the multi-user mode box at the bottom.
3. How can I check the systems affected by QuickBooks Error H202?
• First of all, reload the QuickBooks database server manager.
• After that, verify your system services and add them to the Windows admin user.
• Then configure the firewall settings and ping the server.
• At last, add the server’s IP address in the Windows host file.
4. Where Can I find the deleted transactions in QuickBooks Desktop?
A: If you want to check the deleted transactions in your QuickBooks desktop application, then go to the “Reports” > “Accountant & taxes” > “Deleted Transactions Summary.” You can now successfully look at the deleted transactions in your QuickBooks desktop application.
5. What is the difference between QuickBooks desktop V/s online?
A: The main difference between the QuickBooks desktop and online versions is that QuickBooks online is cloud-based accounting software with advanced plans and features, which helps large-scale business grow their business. Whereas the QuickBooks Desktop is locally-installed software that primarily focuses on small-scale businesses.