If you cannot use the QuickBooks desktop application after updating windows 10 on your PC, then you are at the right place. In this blog, we will provide you with all the information about why you are facing this situation and how to get it resolved. So, stay tuned till the end of this informative post.
Reasons Behind QuickBooks Stopped Working After Windows 10 Update
Below, we have listed the possible reasons why the users are not able to access their QuickBooks application after updating the Windows 10 on their PC.
- When the internet settings are incompatible, it further does not allows the QuickBooks to open.
- When the Updates have not been installed properly.
- The new windows update is not compatible with QuickBooks.
- When the QBWUSER.INI file is damaged or corrupted.
- Background running antivirus application is disabling the PC to open QuickBooks application.
How To Fix QuickBooks Stopped Working After Windows 10 Update
Once you are cleared with all the possible reasons for this situation, let’s look at the solutions that you can follow to fix the QuickBooks stopped working problem.
Solution 1: Change the Name of the QBWUSER.ini file
Here are the steps that you can follow to rename the QBWUSER.ini file.
- First, access the QBWUSER.ini file by going to the Users > [Name} > App Data > Local > Intuit > QuickBooks.
- Now, right-click on the file name and click on the “Rename” option.
- After that, add “.OLD” at the end of the company’s file name.
- Then, rename the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file.
Now, try to open the QuickBooks desktop application again and check if the problem has been resolved or not. If the problem still exists, then jump on to the next solution method.
Solution 2: Restore the Previous Version of Windows 10 Update
If there is an issue with the windows 10 new version, then restoring the windows to the previous version can also be a solution to solve the problem. So, here are the steps that you can follow to restore the previous version of the Windows 10 update on your PC.
- First, press the Windows key on your keyboard and then on the application drop-down list, search and click on the “Settings” option.
- Then under the settings page, search and click on the “Update and Security” option.
- After that, click on the “Recovery” option available on the left panel of the screen.
- Now, under the heading “Go back to an Earlier Build,” click on the “Get Started” option.
After this step, PC’s Windows 10 will be restored to the previous version. Now, try to open the QuickBooks again and check if the problem has been resolved or not.
Solution 3: Close the QBW32.EXE process
- First, go to the windows start menu.
- Then in the insert box, enter “Task Manager” and hit the enter button.
- After this, shift to the “Details” tab.
- Now, search and select the “QBW32.EXE” file under the list and right-click on it.
- At last, click on the “End Task” option to close the QBW32.EXE process.
Solution 4: Use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
Using QuickBooks Install diagnostic tool can also help you get rid of the problem. So, here are the steps that you can follow to resolve the QuickBooks stopped working problem with the help of the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool.
- First, download and install the QuickBooks tool hub on your PC.
- After that, open the tool hub and then click on the “Installation Issues” option.
- Under the “Installation Issues” tab, click on the “QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.”
- Now, the tool will start working on solving all the issues with your QuickBooks.
- This process will take around 20-25 minutes.
- Once the process ends, restart your PC and launch the QuickBooks desktop again.
Now, check if the QuickBooks desktop application is working or not, and if the issue persists, then jump on to the next remedy.
Solution 5: Add a new windows admin user
Due to installation problems, there can be chances that the QuickBooks stopped working in Windows 10. In that situation, adding a new window admin user in the Windows 10 can help you resolve the problem. So, here are the steps that you can perform to get it done.
- First, press the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Then on the applications drop-down list, click on the Settings option.
- After that, click on the “Accounts” option under the window’s settings page.
- After that, select the “Choose Family and Other Users” option.
- Then, click on the “Add Someone else to this PC” option.
- At last, provide the admin details, and then you have successfully added a new windows admin user to your PC.
Now, try to run the QuickBooks desktop application in your PC’s new windows admin user and check if the error still exists.
Solution 6: Block QuickBooks Access to the Internet
By blocking the internet access for QuickBooks, it can damage the QuickBooks installation and its data. So, before you perform this step, make sure that you take a backup of your data file.
Here are the steps you can follow to block QuickBooks access over the internet.
- First, commence this process by hitting the Windows key on your keyboard.
- After that, click on the settings option.
- Then under the settings page, type “Control Panel” in the insert box and press the enter button.
- Thereon, click on the “Windows Firewall” option.
- Then from the left navigation pane, click on the “Advanced Settings” option.
- After that, under the “Windows Firewall With Advanced Security” windows, click on the “Outbound Rules” option.
- Click on the ” New Rule ” option under the action pane on the right side, and click on the “New Rule” option.
- Now, under the “Rule Type” window, select the “Program” radio button and then click on the “Next” option.
- Then, under the “Program” window, checkmark the “This Program Path” radio button, and after that, specify the following paths in the program path insert box.
In case of 64-bit Windows installation: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2010\QBW32.EXE
In case of 32-bit Windows installations: C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2010\QBW32.EXE
- After this, choose the “Block the Connection” option and click on the “Next” option.
- Then, under the profile window, select the “Domain, Private and Public” option and then click on the “Next” option.
- A new window with the “Name” heading will be open. Type “Block QuickBooks Internet Connection” in the name insert box and then click on the “Finish” option.
- At last, close the windows firewall.
By performing this step, you will block the QuickBooks from accessing the internet, and further, you will not face any issues in using the QuickBooks due to Windows 10 update.
Note: This procedure will only work if the user wants to access the QuickBooks data file on the same PC on which QuickBooks Desktop is already running. If a different PC hosts the QuickBooks data file, then this method will not work for you.
Hope we help you in solving the QuickBooks stopped working problem. At this stage, after following the procedures mentioned above, if the error still exists, then feel free to reach out to us through the chat option, or you can also mail us your Query through mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our experienced and professional QuickBooks experts having in-depth knowledge are available 24/7 to help you in the best possible way.
Read Also: What’s New in Quickbooks Desktop 2022
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. How to identify if QuickBooks Stopped Working after Windows 10 Update?
A: If you can see these below-mentioned symptoms in your Windows 10 PC while using the QuickBooks application, then the QuickBooks application is not working due to the windows 10 update.
- QuickBooks suddenly hangs while working on the application.
- PC freezes or is responding slowly.
- Not able to open the company’s file in QuickBooks.
- PC is responding very slowly to the new commands.
2. Which version of QuickBooks is compatible with windows 10?
A: So, the versions of QuickBooks which are fully compatible with Windows 10 PC are as follows.
- Windows 10 with version 1809: QuickBooks Desktop 2020
- Windows 10 with version 1803: QuickBooks Desktop 2017-2020
- Windows 10 with version 1709: QuickBooks Desktop 2017-2020
- Windows 10 with version 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703: QuickBooks is not compatible with these windows versions.
3. Why my QuickBooks desktop suddenly stops working?
A: If you face an error with a pop-up display message showing
“QuickBooks is not working” or “QuickBooks is not opening,” these errors usually occur when the Windows operating system files are damaged or when the QuickBooks Desktop Installation files are corrupted.
4. Can more than one person can access the QuickBooks account at the same time?
A: The maximum number of simultaneous users for QuickBooks is 3 for the pro versions and a maximum of five users for the premier edition. An online server will not be counted as an online user if no one uses the QuickBooks from that server.
5. How can I use the QuickBooks desktop in a safe mode?
A: Let’s have a look towards the process that you can follow to use the QuickBooks desktop application in a safe mode.
- Restart your PC and while your PC is performing the restart function, keep pressing the F8 key continuously.
- It will now redirect you to the Advance menu on your PC.
- Now, go to the Networking tab and click on the “Safe mode” option from the list.