Being the number #1 accounting software, QuickBooks is being used by many servers across the globe. There are many unique features that the users are availed by using the QuickBooks desktop application. Although, many users still do not know about this feature. Well, we are especially here for those users. In this blog post, we will help you by providing complete information about how to set up a multi-user network on QuickBooks desktop. So, if you want to add an advantage to your business through multi-user network mode, read this informative blog post until the end.
What is Multi-user Network Mode in QuickBooks Desktop?
QuickBooks Multi-user network mode allows many QuickBooks users with an account to access a company file simultaneously at the same time. This feature helps the users save time and manage their business activities quickly and easily. The multi-user network mode is strongly recommended to be used by huge firms with many employees. Users must own a unique and separate license copy of the QuickBooks installed on their PC for using the Multi-user mode.
Requirements to Use Multi-user Network Mode in QuickBooks?
The following mentioned are the requirements to set up multi-user in QuickBooks Desktop.
- Windows Admin User
- QuickBooks database server manager
- QuickBooks desktop in the server computer
How Many Users can be added to Multi-user Network Mode in QuickBooks?
Before setting up the multi-user network mode, let’s look at the number of users that can be added in the multi-user mode in different versions of QuickBooks.
- For the QuickBooks enterprise solution, 30 users can access the same File together.
- For QuickBooks premier, the limit is set to 5 users.
- Whereas, in the case of the QuickBooks pro version, only three persons can access the same File together.
How to Set Up Multi-user Network Mode in QuickBooks?
Let’s look at the procedure you can follow to set up multi-user network mode on the QuickBooks desktop.
Step 1. Set Up QuickBooks Desktop
The first step is downloading and installing the QuickBooks desktop application on the network computer.
So, below mentioned are the steps that you can follow to download and install the QuickBooks desktop on your network computer.
- First, download and install the QuickBooks desktop setup on your PC, and then launch it on your PC.
- Thereafter, open the downloaded File.
- Now, accept all the terms and conditions.
- Moving ahead, enter your unique license and product number, and then click on the “Next” option.
- After that, click on the “Custom and Network” options and then click on the “Next” option.
- Under the list of options, click on the “I will be using QuickBooks Desktop on this PC, and I will be storing……” or “I will not be using QuickBooks desktop on this PC.”
- At last, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process and then click on the “Finish” option to close the windows.
Step 2. Allow Folder Permissions
A). First, verify that you have set the correct permissions. So, to check that, here are the steps you can follow to verify the allowed permissions.
- On your PC, open the file explorer and navigate to the folder where you have saved the QuickBooks company file.
- After that, right-click on the company’s folder and then click on the “Properties” option.
- Under the properties window, click on the “Security” tab.
- Then click on the “Advanced” option.
- Moving ahead, click on the “QBDataServiceUserXX” option.
- Then, click on the “Edit” option.
- In the next step, allow the permissions to the below settings.
- Read attributes
- Write attributes
- Write data or create files
- Traverse folder or execute File
- Read extended attributes
- Read permissions
- List folder or read data
- Write extended attributes
- Create folders or append data
B). In case when the permissions are incorrect
- First, open the windows file explorer on your PC by pressing “Windows + E” keys together.
- Now, navigate to the folder where the QuickBooks company’s files are saved.
- Then right-click on the folder saving QuickBooks company’s File.
- Now, under the options list, click on the “Properties” option.
- After that, click on the “Security” tab, and moving ahead, click on the “Edit” options.
- After that, click on the “QBDataServiceUserXX” option.
- Then click on the “Full Control” option.
- Moving ahead, click on the “Allow” option to permit full access to the File.
- At last, click on the “Apply” button and then click on the “OK” button.
Step 3. Download QuickBooks Database Server Manager and Add A New Rule
First, download the QuickBooks database server manager tool from the official website of Intuit products. Once you have downloaded the tool, you have to configure the firewall settings so that other PCs can easily connect to the company’s File. For that, here are the steps that you can follow to get it done.
- Hit the Windows key on your keyboard to go to the Start menu of your PC.
- There click on the “Control Panel” option.
- Now, click on the “Windows Firewall” option, and moving ahead, click on the “Advanced Settings” option.
- After that, click on the “Inbound Rules” option, followed by a click on the “New Rule” option.
- The next step is to click on the “Program”> “Next” option.
- Under the options list, click on the “Program” option and then click on the “Browse” option.
- Select the executable list below and click on the “Next” option.
- After that, checkmark the “Allow the Connection” option, and later, click on the “Next” option.
- At last, provide a name and description of the new rule.
Step 4. Create New Outbound Rules
The next step is creating new outbound rules for the folders mentioned below. You can follow the same steps mentioned above to get the task accomplished.
- Auto Backup Exe
- Dbml sync
- DM Manager Exe
- File Management
- File Movement Exe
- QuickBooks Messaging
- QB DB MgrN
- QB Server Utility Mgr
- QBCF Monitor Service
- QB Launch
- QB Update
- Intuit Sync Manager
- Online Backup
Once you’re done with creating outbound and inbound rules for all of the above files, then restart your PC.
Step 5. Run Database Server Manager
A). Scan your Folders
- First, on your server computer, go to the windows start menu.
- Under the search box, type “QuickBooks Database Server Manager” and then hit the enter button.
- After that, click on the “Scan Folders” option.
- Moving ahead, click on the “Browse” option and navigate to the location where your company’s File is saved.
- At last, click on the “OK” option.
B). Monitor Drivers
- After that, click on the “Monitor Drivers” option.
- Then checkmark the “Hard Drive Check Boxes” containing your company’s File.
- If you have changed the company’s File’s location, there is no need to scan the File again.
C). Manage Database Server Manager
- You can easily search where the database server manager is installed on your PC through the system tab.
- The database server tab will provide you with the real-time status of the tool and the users who are connected with it.
Step 6. Enable the Hosting
The last step is enabling the hosting for the QuickBooks desktop. After performing this, you’re all done with the procedure. So, here are the steps that you can follow to turn on the hosting in QuickBooks.
- First of all, open the QuickBooks desktop application on your PC.
- Now, log in to the account with admin details.
- Under the main menu list, click on the “File” option and the “Utilities” option.
- Then select the “Host Multi-user Access” option and click on the “Yes” option.
After turning on the hosting, install and use the QuickBooks desktop from other PCs. Now, you can easily access the company’s File from all the workstations without any problem.
So, that’s all with today’s blog. In this blog post, we have listed the complete procedure that you can follow to Set Up Multi-User Network in QuickBooks Desktop. However, in case you face any challenges while performing any of the mentioned steps, then feel free to reach out to us through the chat box, or you can also mail us your query at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our experienced and professional experts with great knowledge about QuickBooks are available 24*7 at the help desk to provide the best feasible solution for all your queries.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can the QuickBooks be shared on the network?
A: You can easily share your QuickBooks desktop account for windows data with many users. To get this done, you only have to set up the multi-user network mode so that the other users can access your company’s files and workstations.
2. How can I map a network drive to another user’s workstation?
A: Below are the steps you can follow to map a network drive in Windows.
• First, press the Windows + E keys together to open File Explorer.
• Thereon, from the left side, select “This PC.”
• Then, under the Drive list, select a drive letter.
• Now, click on the Browse option to find the folder and click on the “Finish” option.
3. What is the difference between local and network drives?
A: Both the local disk drive and network drive are accessed similarly. But the data gets only transferred from a remote computer to your computer through the network connection.
4. How do I access my QuickBooks company from another computer?
• First, launch the QuickBooks desktop application and then click on the “File” menu option.
• Thereon, click on the “Open or Restore Company” option.
• Now, select your company file and click on “Next.”
• If prompted, enter your user name and password.
5. Can I set up a Remote Desktop on the same network?
A: Yes, you can easily set up a remote desktop for QuickBooks over the same network. For that, go to the windows start menu, type “Remote” in the search box, and click on the Remote Desktop Connection icon. Then you must provide a name to the computer you want to connect to and click on the “Connect” button. At last, enter your login credentials and click on the “OK” option.